Sunday, August 08, 2010

Etch-a-sketch

I knew there was a reason I continually read the blogs that get miraculously delivered to me via Google Reader.  During the week I saw a post with some photos from CHA - the American Craft and Hobby Association Trade Show.  This is the expo of all the new products being released from some of the biggest names in the craft business.  It gives you a good idea of upcoming trends and styles.  I noticed the photo on the blog of Embellish Magazine of a booth called DeNami Design (which I have never heard of before).  It showed a collection of cards and there were a few that appealed, so I drew some quick sketches of them to re-create.  Here is the photo of the card that caught my eye (taken from the Embellish Magazine blog):


And here is what I turned it into:


I used an ivory card base, with some gorgeous flocked patterned paper from Sullivans, that I have been hoarding (A.K.A had for years).  It was one of those pieces of paper that was just too pretty to cut... well, I did it!  There was a moment of hesitation when I made the first cut, but there was no looking back.  I blended some Tim Holtz distress inks in Walnut Stain and Victorian Velvet over some extra ivory cardstock and cut out 2 circles, which I then ran the edge distresser around (just once in the same direction, to give it a rough look without fraying it), and re-inked the edges where the card was exposed.  I chose those colours to try and match with the patterned paper.  Finished with a ribbon bow and some small pink pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share a thought with me.