Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Less is more...

I have discovered the Paperclipping Roundtable podcast recently and have been listening to a few of the episodes which feature guests that are at the forefront of the scrapbooking industry.  It has been a bit of an awakening for me in terms of my scrapbooking.  A lot of the things they are talking about are so relevant - such as reasons why people DON'T scrapbook and what size you should use.  It seems that repeated over and over is the fact that it should be fun!  Myself included, I think often we get hung up on the "pretty" side and forget that it is supposed to be fun, and it is about preserving the memories.
It doesn't matter what size format you choose - pick one that you like!
It doesn't matter if you use the latest products - use things you like!
Interestingly there is a topic on chronological scrapbooking, which is something I'm hung up on.  I don't need to chronological scrapbook in the truest sense of having a pile of photos and scrapping them in the order they were taken (lets face it, I have tonnes of photos that will never see a scrapbook), but I feel that the album pages need to be displayed in the chronological order of time.  As in, in the girls' albums they need to be done in age order - no matter when I do the pages, they need to be included in order that the photo was taken.
Because I started my scrapbooking with Creative Memories, it meant I needed to plan out my whole album before I started.  If you aren't familiar with CM, they seem to encourage scrapbookers to stick directly on the album pages, and once it is completed you are stuck with whatever is on the other side - meaning if you change the order of the pages the back side is being moved too.  When I did Emily's first album I had to go through and sticky note each page so I knew what order each page was, and I could then do the pages in whatever order I liked (just leaving blank pages between)... but there are still things I would now change!  Too bad, it's done.
I am totally in love with the Pebbles Inc album Kaszazz sells.  It is a 3 ring binder style 12x12inch album.  This means that I can do pages in whatever order I want, and later I can go back and rearrange them into whatever order I like (no, I don't think I will ever kick the chronological time habit).  The page protectors are top mount (like a normal page protector/plastic pocket), and they are also available in a 6 6x4inch format to you can simply slip photos into the protectors (or mix and match photos with journalling and any bits and pieces of paperwork and found items).
I don't see myself ever being able to just do a random page and add it to an album knowing that is where it will stay.  If that were the case I would have Emily at 2 mixed with Sophie's birth, mixed with holidays when I was a kid, etc, etc.  For me that doesn't work.  But, I know there are people who really don't care about the order of it.
I guess that's what makes it such a unique craft - we all have our own likes and dislikes, we favour certain colours/styles/brands/designs, and we use them all in a different way.
To what am I trying to get at?  The less you worry about it, the more you will get done and the more accomplished you will feel!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share a thought with me.