Monday, August 02, 2010

Emboss Resist with Smooch

This week on the SplitCoastStampers website they have a tutorial using emboss resist and Smooch Spritz - which is right up my alley.  Of course I can never follow instructions exactly... I like to put my own spin on it.

Here's what I did:
1. Stamp images with an embossing pad and stamps, coat with clear embossing powder and heat set with a heat tool.  I used the Kaszazz Treasured Memories stamp set for this.


2. Using a cutting tool, cut a circle to fit the cover of your card.  I used my old CM circle cutter, using the outside of the smallest circle and the red blade.  You could also use a Nestabilities die or simply trace a circle around a cup, saucer, cookie cutter, etc.


3. Using a distressing tool, rough up the edges of the circle - this will add a bit of a vintage/shabby feel as well as absorbing more ink in the next step to give a darker edge.


4. Using a Ink Blending Tool, blend on ink so that it is slightly patchy - you don't want an even look.  I used the Ranger Ink Blending Tool with Foam and Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Pumice Stone - both available from Kaszazz.


5. Using a colour catcher, mist the card with Smooch Spritz.  I use a large shoebox (my hubby has size 12 feet) as my colour catcher.  I used Smooch Spritz in Spun Sugar which is a kind of bronze colour.  The pearlescent pigment in it is a light pink but doesn't show up as pink when you spray it.


6. Using a dry soft cloth wipe the card in circular motions to rub any of the spray off the embossed images.  I used a dried out baby wipe.


7. Embellish as you want.  I used some of the white grosgrain ribbon from Kaszazz that I did in a kind of double layer across the card front.  I then stamped my sentiment on a small piece of white card using the same ink as I blended with, rounded the corners and added a Haus Designs pin that I tied a little bit of satin ribbon around.  The sentiment is foam mounted on the circle, and then the circle is foam mounted on the card front.




As a shameless plug, please visit the Haus Designs blog and leave a comment showing a project of yours to enter the first Haus Designs pins giveaway which closes on Thursday 5th August.

P.S I ran out of cotton as I was sewing up my project (which I wanted to have finished by now), so I will have to visit the local craft shop... to get more thread of course... ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel, what a lovely card! Looks very fancy especially with the pin attached.
    nice work,
    Cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share a thought with me.